1: Where are you from originally? Knoxville, TN (GO VOLS!)
2. What is your favorite WOD/Movement? KBS
3. What were you doing before CrossFit? How did you hear about CrossFit and/CrossFit Axon? More off than at the gym for years. I did some running until I tore my meniscus. Not much other than that. I actually first heard of CrossFit from my Primary Care Physician, Mary Russell, who unbeknownst to be at the time is also a member at Axon. She mentioned CrossFit while explaining to me that I was overweight and needed to do something about it.
4. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit? The only other sports I participate in are golf and snow skiing.
5. How many times per week do you CrossFit? I try to get 4 days a week.
6. What is your athletic background? I played football and baseball until high school, then swam and played football in high school. My cousin owns a free weigh facility in Knoxville and I and my two brothers worked out religiously 6 days per week for 6 years (age 12-18). Once I graduated high school I only golfed.
7. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Axon. I was really happy that I didn't die.
8. What brought you back after your first workout? The fact that I didn't die....... no seriously I really did enjoy it. It was a challenge, and everyone was very supportive. No one judges anyone. We are all there with a similar goal, to get in shape, and this simple fact that was readily apparent was what brought me back.
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Axon memories/moments? Yes, it is always special when you get a PR or do some movement that you thought you could never do. The first time I saw Curtis demonstrate toes to bar my daughter and I looked at each other and laughed. I remember thinking I will never be able to do that. The first time I was able to actually do it was very memorable. I have a very similar memory with handstand push-ups as well.
10. What would you like to tell someone who wants to start CrossFit Axon but may be unsure about getting started?
I am 47 years old, have a bad lower back and have had knee surgery twice on my right knee. On top of that, I was told 5 years ago that both my hips are going to need replacing eventually. When I started I was in probably the worst shape of my life. 5'9/220 lbs, 36in waist, and horrible cardio. I was hesitant but was tired of seeing my health slowly decline, and after watching my dad pass with COPD I knew I did not want to end up the same way in my 70's. Since then 1 year later I have lost 35 pounds and 5 inches off my waist. No dieting and no cutting back on beer lol. Just a lot of hard work in the gym. Everything is scalable and no one laughs or points fingers. We were all beginners at one point. There is nothing to lose by coming on in, you only lose if you don't.
11. What is your eating style? I really don't eat that bad. We cook a lot. Most of that is on the grill. However, I don't worry about popcorn on the couch or Bojangles chicken supremes with double mashed potatoes anymore either.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Axon? Besides getting a lot stronger and improving my cardio I have lost 5 inches off my waist and 35 pounds.
13. What do you do for a living? Network Engineer which means I sit at a desk practically all day.
14. What drives you to be an active family? We've always been a family on the go. I want to be able to play with my grandkids one day.